Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Archive for June, 2017

…I made this sunburst card, and today’s the day I mail it to someone. I think it is made with acrylic paint and watercolor pencil, but I’m not sure. I’m so glad I can keep a digital image of it.

Read Full Post »

Last night I experimented with heavy crayon over alcohol ink. I thought it might be possible to scratch out a pattern through the crayon, but the result looked meager. I threw the card away.

This morning I thought I’d apply gesso over the discarded work and do something on the new surface, using the “what’s on my desk?” technique. This card is what I made, from an acrylic skin (defined below if you need a definition), a magazine clipping, and some yellow paint, which wasn’t on my desktop but had been, recently.

An acrylic skin is a dried-out patch of acrylic paint — typically many layers — that can be peeled up from your palette more or less intact. Being acrylic, skins are more than willing to be pasted down with acrylic medium. With any luck, they are a little grungy, with ragged edges and oddly mixed colors, as in this instance.

This still-damp card has been scanned through a piece of plastic wrap to protect the scanner surface. Light reflects erratically off the plastic and adds little white flecks to the image, a digital bonus.

Read Full Post »

The Second One

(As I may have said before) I am taking part in the Index Card a Day challenge from Daisy Yellow Art. That means I’m committed to making art (or putting something) on an index card every day in June and July.

The idea is to be literal — one index card each day — but we each decide quietly just how literal we will be. The only rule is that it’s an index card.
Some of the participants are making phenomenal small works of art; and some of us occasionally have to scribble “no art today” on an index card before we go to bed.

What I’m finding is that after I make my card for the day, I often want to make another card, and I often like the second card better. Making something primes the pump for making something else. So here’s today’s card #2.

Read Full Post »

Index cards are a frustrating weight: too light for water-based media and too heavy for certain other things. But wait.

I made a rubbing using a piece of ordinary paper as my rubbing plate. It had been given a shaped edge when I cut a variety of small shapes out of it yesterday.

With a soft-ish Art Stix crayon, I got a very nice impression, moving the “plate” three times in total. It looks like tree bark to me.

Read Full Post »

I’ve made some postcards for a swap that calls for citrus colors: orange, yellow and lime green. I didn’t especially want to draw or paint fruit, so I tried other ideas using those colors. An old watercolor made a great background, and I was happy to use it because it hasn’t been hung for years.

On my card, the postage stamps are vivid lime green and neon yellow, but the scanner doesn’t see them the way I do.

Coloring the postage stamps with green and yellow highlighters was satisfying. You can see the designs very clearly through the color. I expect I’ll use my  postage stash more often now.

I played around with color adjustment tools in PaintShop Pro and created some interesting accidental effects, but the two “beige” stamps never did turn yellow. A mystery.

Read Full Post »

I made this index-card-sized background with oil pastels and an ink marker. I set it aside until I should come across something fun to add to it.

And what should appear during my afternoon “nap” but these little earrings from the pages of Outrageous High Fashion magazine. I liked ’em, so I drew ’em and pasted ’em.

Read Full Post »